The 2020 Opioid Care Honor Roll Webinar Series
(scroll down for the recordings of the webinar series)
In 2019, Cal Hospital Compare (CHC) launched the Opioid Care Honor Roll Program to help address the ongoing crisis. According to state data, nearly 2,200 Californians died of an opioid-related overdose in 2017. Patients with opioid use disorder are frequently hospitalized or visit the emergency department due to complications of the condition without also receiving treatment for the underlying disease of opioid addiction. This is a missed opportunity and leaves patients untreated and at high risk of future overdose. In this pilot year of the program, 60 hospitals voluntarily reported their progress on addressing the opioid crisis. While results show that all participating hospitals are making progress, it’s clear more work is needed. In 2020, Cal Hospital Compare will continue to offer learning opportunities to support the rapid spread of evidence-based practices among hospitals and will announce the first Opioid Care Honor Roll recipients. All California hospitals are invited to participate. For more information on 2019 Opioid Care Honor Program learnings and next steps check out this fact sheet.
To measure opioid safety across all California hospitals, in a standardized way, CHC developed the Opioid Management Hospital Self-Assessment. This self- assessment measures opioid safety across 4 domains: 1) safe & effective opioid use, 2) identifying and managing patients with Opioid Use Disorder, 3) preventing harm in high-risk patients, and 4) applying cross-cutting organizational strategies. CHC designed this tool as both a measurement and quality improvement tool. All California, adult, acute care hospitals are eligible to participate in this program.
The 2020 self-assessment period started June 22, 2020 and closed October 9, 2020. Results will be announced in December 2020.
To help accelerate implementation of opioid care best practices and to support all California adult, acute care hospitals achieve the Opioid Care Honor Roll, Cal Hospital Compare is excited to announce its 2020 webinar series. This 5-part webinar series brings together subject matter experts and representatives from peer hospitals that have successfully deployed best practices related to hospital progress, CHC will continue to offer virtual learning opportunities on key tactics addressed in the Opioid Management Hospital Self-Assessment. Webinars are designed for Chief Medical Officers, Chief Nursing Officers, Chief Quality Officers, Quality and Emergency Department leadership, and other individuals involved in improving opioid safety.
- How to capture & keep attention on the CA opioid epidemic: engaging care teams, staff, patients & families in change (Jun 23).
- Harm reduction strategies: a multi-pronged approach to reducing opioid related deaths (Jul 14)
- Leveraging community partners: a team-based approach to opioid care (Aug 12)
- Cutting edge strategies in opioid care: innovative approaches in CA hospitals (Sept 10)
- Drop-in office hours: 2020 Opioid Management Hospital Self-Assessment Q&A
- About the Opioid Care Honor Roll
- FAQ_Opioid Care Honor Roll_Cal Hospital Compare 2020
- Opioid Mgmt Hospital Self-Assessment 2020 (submit self-assessment results here starting Jun. 22 – Oct. 9, 2020)
- Fact Sheet w List of Participating Hospitals_Opioid Care Honor Roll Program_2019
- CA HHS Honor Roll Announcement_2019
- Engaging California Hospitals to Address the Opioid Crisis – results and learnings from the 2019 pilot year
- Online opioid resource library
Questions? Contact Alex Stack at email@example.com