To address California’s opioid epidemic and accelerate hospital progress to reduce opioid related deaths, Cal Hospital Compare (CHC) collaboratively developed the Opioid Care Honor Roll Program. The three year program is designed to support continued quality improvement and recognize hospitals for their contributions fighting the epidemic. Annually CHC, along with other partners, will publicly recognize hospitals participating in the Opioid Care Honor Roll Program.
To measure opioid safety across all California hospitals, in a standardized way, CHC developed the Opioid Safe Hospital Self-Assessment. This self- assessment measures opioid safety across 4 domains: 1) preventing new opioid starts, 2) identifying and managing patients with Opioid Use Disorder, 3) preventing harm in high-risk patients, and 4) applying cross-cutting organizational strategies. CHC designed this tool as both a measurement and quality improvement tool. All California, adult, acute care hospitals are eligible to participate in this program.
To further accelerate hospital progress, CHC will continue to offer virtual learning opportunities on key tactics addressed in the Opioid Safe Hospital Self-Assessment. Webinars are designed for Chief Medical Officers, Chief Nursing Officers, Chief Quality Officers, Quality and Emergency Department leadership, and other individuals involved in improving opioid safety.
The 2019 self-assessment window is now closed. We are finalizing the Opioid Care Honor Roll results and coordinating communications efforts across CHC partners and stakeholders. Updates will be posted in mid to late November.
- Addressing California’s Opioid Epidemic – Introducing the Opioid Care Honor Roll (May 9, 2019):
- Beyond adopting prescribing guidelines: monitoring and strengthening the prescribing patterns of clinicians (Jun 6, 2019)
- Initiating MAT in the hospital: Unique aspects from the ED and inpatient settings (Jul 10, 2019)
- The nuts and bolts of dispensing naloxone to high-risk patients and their support systems (Aug 27, 2019)
- Slide Presentation
- How to Develop a Naloxone Distribution Program (NDP):
- Emerging measures in the hospital setting for safe opioid management in the hospital setting (Sept 12,2019)
Questions? Contact Alex Stack at firstname.lastname@example.org